One of the a lot of ways to get creative with wood is investing in a hardware device like routers. These machines have the capability to carve out your well thought-out designs with the exact details.
However, the device alone will not suffice for getting through such projects. No matter if you're a professional woodworker or just a hobbyist, you'll need the appropriate router bits to make the required markings. This is where router bits come in.
These pieces enable you to cut at particular angles or curves and turn the original solid workpiece into an impressive craft. Cutting out letters from wood is by far one of the most common purposes behind using a router since it helps with making decorative pieces or signs for business.
In this article, we’ve featured only the top models on the market. Hopefully, you’ll be able to discover the best router bit for cutting letters from the options available below!
Hiltex 10100 Tungsten Carbide Router Bits
5 out of 5
KOWOOD Router Bits Set
5 out of 5
FivePears Tungsten Carbide Router Bits
4.5 out of 5
Yakamoz 6Pcs Carbide 90 Degree V-Groove and Round Nose Groove Router Bit Set
4 out of 5
LU&MN Tongue and Groove Router Bit Set
4.5 out of 5
Our Recommended 10 Best Router Bit for Cutting Letters in 2022
1. Hiltex 10100 Tungsten Carbide Lettering Router Bits
Make the most of a versatile tool like router with these router bits provided by Hiltex. This set of 15 various bits is built for helping any level of woodworker to make flawless cuts on the target surface. Even if you're a complete beginner in this area, you can get used to the working procedure of router bits fast enough.
Their blades are made with YG8 tungsten carbide which is also called hard metal. This material makes it possible for the router bits to make clean and accurate cuts no matter what kind of wood you're working with.
Along with being so versatile, these blades also have excellent heat resistance which makes them a good choice for building outdoor furniture or decoration pieces. So you can enjoy precision, creativity and long lifespan from them at the same time.
Besides, the main bodies of the bits are built with hardened solid alloy steel. As an additional precaution, they have a powder coating finish which enhances their durability and thus let you enjoy more years of service in one investment! These blue bits are designed to have a universal shank of ¼ inch to fit all router models.
It comes with an enclosed bearing roller to ensure smooth operations where alignment does not become an issue.
- Each set has 15 blue-colored router bits
- Body made of hardened solid alloy steel
- Powder coating finish for high durability
- YG8 tungsten carbide blades for precision
- Provides excellent resistance to heat
- [CLEAN CUTTING]: These router bits are tipped with precisely machined YG8 tungsten carbide blades to...
- [DURABLE]: Hardened solid alloy steel construction with a powder coating finish for durability and...
- [COMPATIBLE]: Each router bit has a 1/4-inch universal shank which fits all models of routers, with...
- [VERSATILE]: This router bit set comes with 15 pieces, perfect for edging, trimming, veining and grooving...
2. KOWOOD Sign Carving Router Bits Set
Kowood brings a set of router bits that works for a wide range of cuts and wooden surfaces. That is why a lot of professional and DIY woodworkers have chosen it for their projects. This set of 15 versatile pieces are painted in bright yellow so that the workers can spot the bits easily even when they are out of the box.
From the blades to the main body - each of these bits is manufactured in a way that they can withstand any adversity.
Their heavy-duty construction includes a main body made of solid hardened steel, while the blades are made of YG8 tungsten carbide alloy. The balanced craftsmanship evident here makes the entire set a highly durable one that can stand the test of time.
Besides, the developers built the pieces following a smart anti-kickback design which ensures safety during installation. Their shank bits are sized at ¼ inch which provides you greater stability while working and reduces the vibration during use. All of these factors work together to make your working session plenty more secure.
With this single set, you can work on a lot of varieties of wooden surfaces including plywood, MDF and particle board. However, it is not capable of cutting through non-wood or ferrous metal materials like steel and iron.
- Set of 15 pieces designed in a bright yellow color
- Alloy blades and solid hardened steel board
- ¼-inch shank bits provide better stability
- Works with wood, plywood, MDF and more
- Wood case provided for easy storage and portability
- ▲ DURABLE STEEL BODY - Boasting alloy blade, balanced craftsmanship and a solid hardened steel board...
- ▲ USE OF SAFE - The 1/4 inch shank bits provide greater stability and less vibration during use
- ▲ WIDELY APPLICATIONS - These tongue and groove router bit set is truly versatile for your extra...
- ▲ EASY TO STORE AND CARRY - The included wooden case is sturdy and makes storing the high-quality...
3. FivePears Tungsten Carbide Router Bits
If you're looking for more varieties in terms of shank sizes, you can keep an eye on the router bits produced by FivePears.
They are providing a set of 12 router bits that cover all the essential blades you would need to get started with your woodworking adventures. Both professionals and DIY makers can make use of it to make their creative visions come true!
You can get them in two shank sizes of ½ inch and ¼ inch. As a result, you can pick the one that suits your router configurations and also works best for your common letter cutting projects.
The first shank size helps to dissipate the heat produced from cutting woods and helps you to maintain stability. On the other hand, ¼ inch shank bits come at a more economical cost and you can use the compact routers compatible with them using just one hand. Usually, ½-inch is preferred to ¼-inch for better conveniences.
These bits are made from the materials of C3 hard tungsten steel and 45# carbon steel. The mixture of these two guarantees long durability. you'll get them in a sturdy wooden case to carry the bits in an organized way everywhere.
- A set of 12 pieces for both DIY and professionals
- Comes in two shank sizes of ½ inch and ¼ inch
- Built with C3 tungsten steel and 45# carbon steel
- Easy storage with the included sturdy wooden case
- Compatible with hardwood, softwood, MDF and more
- ★ HIGH QUALITY : the router bit set (1/2" shank) is constructed with C3 hard tungsten steel and 45#...
- ★ MULTI-FUNCTIONAL BIT SET : 12pcs/set (1/2" shank) included,different cutter types, work out a...
- ★ EASY TO STORE : included wooden case,sturdy and makes storing the high-quality router bits convenient...
- ★ WIDELY APPLICATION : suit for chipboard, MDF board, hardwood,softwood etc., and mainly used in router...
4. Yakamoz 6Pcs Carbide 90 Degree V-Groove and Round Nose Groove Router Bit Set
For those of you who are looking for something much more minimal, there is the router bit set of only six pieces from Yakamoz. Within this one set, you can get plenty of varieties which will surely be a good start for beginner woodworkers. Even though this is a small collection, the versatility and affordability make up for it.
Each of these small router bits comes with a shank of ¼ inch. The first three pieces are 90-degree V-groove and the other three are round nose groove.
You can make cuts which are tall by ¼ inch, ⅜ inch or ½ inch with the V-groove bits. For the round nose ones, they can make cuts of ½ inch, 25/32 inch and 25/32 inch. All six pieces can create cutting diameters of ¼ inch, ⅜ inch and ½ inch.
As you can see, you can practice almost any cut with these basic router bits. Typically, they are used for woodworking projects like making signs and adding decorative accents to furniture or plaque.
Their blades are made from durable material like C3 micro-grain tungsten carbide of premium quality. The anti-kickback design ensures higher strength and better resistance which enhances their longevity. You can use them to cut plywood, softwood, MDF, PVC, acrylic, chamfer, 3D engraving and more!
- Minimal set of six router bits of ¼-inch shank
- Includes both V-groove and round-groove bits
- Blades made of C3 micro-grain tungsten carbide
- Anti-kickback design for strength and resistance
- Supports cutting in diameters of ¼, ⅜ and ½ inch
- 3Pcs 90 Degree V-Groove Router Bits - 1/4" Shank, Cutting Diameter: 1/4", 3/8", 1/2", Cutting Height:...
- 3Pcs Round Nose Groove Router Bits - 1/4" Shank, Cutting Diameter: 1/4", 3/8", 1/2", Cutting Height:...
- V-groove & Round-groove router bits are great for grooving in a lot of workpieces in woodworking projects for...
- Premium C3 micro-grain tungsten carbide blades with Anti-Kickback design increased strength and utmost...
5. LU&MN Tongue and Groove Router Bit Set
To let you've the full freedom of picking the best router bit for cutting letters according to your preferences, LU&MN brings three sets of such pieces. The first one comprises only two tongue router bits, while the other two sets offer 8 pieces and 24 pieces respectively. All of them are sized at ¼ inch of shank.
In the smallest set, both the routers are colored in a golden tint. The other two sets of 8 and 24 pieces don the usual blue color. They are all made with the anti-kickback design which increases the degree of safety for you by limiting the chip-thickness of your workpiece.
Besides, the bodies come with a Teflon coating which limits the heat from going overboard. As a result, you're less likely to face any injury resulting from heat issues while cutting the letters out of wood. You can use them for edging, veining and grooving the workpieces.
Their bodies are made of solid hardened carbon steel so that it can stand the test of time and handle some heavy-duty use. The blades are made of tungsten carbide which helps to make clean and accurate cuts no matter the type of wood. It helps you to produce well-crafted letters without any splinters.
- Available in sets of 2, 8 and 24 pieces
- ¼ shank bits made with anti-kickback design
- Solid hardened steel body for heavy-duty use
- Teflon coating on bits provide heat resistance
- Blades made of tungsten carbide for accuracy
- Product Information: Enclosed bearing roller for smooth and aligned operations with 1/4 inch universal...
- Excellent performance and stability: High-grade carbide blade with sharp cutting, smooth rotation,...
- Accurate and Neat: Precisely machined sharp YG8 tungsten carbide blade makes clean and accurate cuts on...
- Multi-purpose use: Perfect for edging, trimming, veining and grooving in all woodworking projects for...
6. Freud 91-100 13-Piece Super Router Bit Set
Freud brings you a great option for comprehensive router bit sets with their 91-100 model of 13 pieces. You can make almost any cut with this one set which allows you to do grooving, chamfering, flush trimming and dovetailing. So you can get creative with the workpiece you've and cut out letters in various ways!
Each of them has a shank of ½ inch which is commonly preferred over ¼ inch because of its improved stability and fewer vibrations. You can have a safer experience with these since their extra mass helps to dissipate the heat and reduce the chatter resulting from the fast spins. Besides, the cuts end up being cleaner too.
You can use them with both handheld and table-mounted routers. This set comes in a stunning and functional shadow box case which you can either hang on the wall or mount on your working bench. So you don't have to worry about losing the bits or finding the right one anymore.
The pieces can work through common wooden materials like plywood, hardwood, softwood and more. However, the price point may seem to be a bit difficult compared to the usual sets of sign carving router bits.
- Comes in a set of 13 pieces with ½ inch shank
- Can be used for grooving, chamfering and more
- Compatible with handheld or table-mounted routers
- Cuts through plywood, hardwoods, softwoods and more
- Unique shadow box case included for hanging or mounting
- Set comes in Freud’s unique shadow box case that can hang on the wall or mount on the bench to keep...
- Cuts all composition materials, plywoods, hardwoods, and softwoods.
- Style Name: 13 Piece Super Router Bit Set, 1/2-Inch Shank
- Item weight: 1.0 pounds
7. ABN Tungsten Carbide Router Bits for Sign Making
ABN is the acronym for Auto Body Now - a company dedicated to manufacturing automotive tools of all kinds.
Among their impressive collection of such useful products, there is the router bit set of 24 pieces. They include roundover, cove, nose, panel pilot, flush trim, dovetail, chamfer, roman ogee and more varieties.
Their shanks are round in shape and sized at ¼ inch. Such shanks are usually preferred for those who are on a tight budget and who own smaller routers. As a result, it comes as no surprise that this set of lettering router bits comes at a very affordable price point.
The blades of these pieces are built with tungsten carbide. Most router bits are made with this material since it provides resistance to high temperatures, low thermal expansion and can also resist corrosion. you'll discover them very effective in making clean and precise cuts.
Along with the variety of router bits, the set also comes with an Allen wrench. So even if you don’t have one by now, or the size of your current wrench doesn’t work with the router bits, you can still keep working on your projects. They are also capable of handling any RPM speed which can boost your efficiency.
- Each set has 24 pieces with ¼ inch round shanks
- Blades made of tungsten carbide for precision
- Capable of handling any RPM speed
- Securely locked in a wooden storage case
- Allen wrench included for convenient driving
- Practical: This ABN Tungsten Carbide Router Bit Set - 24 Piece comes with all 1/4-inch round shank bits...
- Durable Cutting Edge: Tungsten carbide cutting edge for sharp and precise cuts that can handle any RPM...
- Convenient Storage: Comes in a wooden storage case so your bits are easily accessed and organized
- Securely Placed: Bits are securely locked in place in the case so they won’t dislodge; an Allen wrench...
8. Freud 1-1/8" (Dia.) V Grooving Lettering Bit (20-174)
Let’s take a sharp detour from all the sets of router bits and focus on one! Freud brings this particular bit which is meant specifically for router lettering.
Of course, it is meant for those who have gone a few miles in the woodworking area - either professionally or as a hobbyist. It comes at a premium price point because its main construction is unique to the Freud brand.
Each router bit of their collection is made from the mixture of their own material called TiCo which is basically MicroGrain carbide with Tungsten. Moreover, it has the Freud Perma-SHIELD non-stick coating. Combining all these technologies, this bit is formulated to excel at the particular function of lettering.
The presence of a ½ inch shank makes it even better by including higher stability, stronger grip, reduced vibration and less deflection. Together, they all make the bit safer than other contemporaries.
Coming to its design, the flattened end is meant to make the cutting process more smooth by getting rid of the excess between letters. It produces an angle of 60 degrees to ensure highly readable relief lettering.
- A single bit with ½ inch shank for lettering
- Made from MicroGrain carbide with Titanium
- End removes excess material between letters
- 60° angle for highly readable relief lettering
- Compatible with a lot of routers including CNC
- Package Dimensions: 8.89 cms (L) x 5.842 cms (W) x 3.302 cms (H)
- Product Type: Tools
- Package Quantity: 1
- Country Of Origin: Italy
9. SILIVN Engraving CNC Engraving Router Bits
Similar to our previous option, the SILIVN router bit also comes as a single bit meant to be used in carving out letters. However, there is a range of other functions where such engraving router bits can be useful as well!
It is mainly a detail carving liner which can be used to engrave or mark letters on a variety of materials.
Unlike other router bits for lettering, you can use this one to mark or engrave on surfaces made of stainless steel, brass, aluminum, plastic, medium density fiberboard and more! And of course, it is compatible with wood panels and other soft gummy materials as well.
In addition to all these, this piece from Silivn also works well for rotary engraving. You can use it with spring-loaded engraving tools, collets, CNC milling machines, top loading engraving machines and end mill holders.
This is one of the best router bits for sign making. Its body is made of tungsten steel so that you can benefit from better cutting strength resulting in premium drilling outcomes.
It helps you to bring your dream details come true with the sharp point and deep angle - 20 degrees or 60 degrees. The sharp edge makes precise cuts at a fast pace and with a high efficiency.
- One craving router bit with a ¼ inch shank
- Built with tungsten steel for high strength
- Deep angle and sharp point cut precisely
- Available in 20 degrees and 60 degrees
- Made for outlining letters and tracing lines
- 【PERFECT FOR MANICURIST OR BEGINNER】Engraving and lettering just got a little easier with SILIVN’s...
- 【EXTREME HARD】SILIVN craving router bits are made of tungsten steel, which offers better cutting...
- 【GOOD CUTTING PERFORMANCE】Fastly engrave and cut, extremely sharp edge provides smoothly cutting, no...
- 【WIDE USAGE】 Mainly used for the engraving and marking of stainless steel, aluminum, brass, medium...
10. MLCS 8377 15-Piece Bit Set for Router Lettering
The last but not the least choice we have for you is the set from MLCS containing 15 router bits. The brand of MLCS is all about developing woodworking products and this one is no different! If you've never tried anything like crafting out of wood before, this may just be the perfect set to get you started!
It includes one piece of round over, roman ogee, hinge mortising, panel pilot, flush trim, round nose and dovetail router bits. There are four pieces of straight bits in various sizes - ⅜, ¼, ½ and ¾ inch as well. you'll also get an Allen wrench and a bearing for converting round over bits into beading bits smoothly.
Their blades are built from carbide which makes them sharp enough to cut through the wooden workpieces with ease. This material stays sharp for a longer period than typical steel and thus proves to be more efficient in the long run. For better safety measures, these bits bear a coating to withstand high temperatures.
If you're concerned about losing any of these pieces during or after work, they can stay secure in the wooden box provided with this set. They come at a slightly higher price point than usual because of their convenient features. You can get the set in the shank size of either ½ inch or ¼ inch.
- Contains 15 pieces including one Allen wrench
- Available in both ½ inch and ¼ inch shanks
- Coating to withstand high temperatures
- Comes in a wooden box for easy storage
- All-purpose set that is ideal for beginners
Comparison Chart of Top Router Bit for Cutting Letters
No. of Pieces
YG8 tungsten carbide
YG8 tungsten carbide
½ inch , ¼ inch
C3 micro-grain tungsten carbide
2, 8, 24
TiCo Hi-Density Carbide
TiCo Hi-Density Carbide
Router Bit for Cutting Letters Buying Guide
The material is always an important factor while making any choice of purchase. In the case of router bits too, this plays an important role.
Although such pieces can be manufactured with a lot of materials, experts unanimously agree that carbide is the most prominent, convenient and efficient among them.
a) Solid Carbide
It can be a solid carbide bit which ensures impressive robustness and lasts for a very long time. However, they may not be that efficient since their blades are not very sharp or precise. If you deal with harder woods commonly and prefer to get through them at a high speed, it can be a good deal for you.
b) Carbide Tipped
In terms of efficiency, carbide tipped bits take the cake since their edge is usually the sharpest. You can also achieve maximum precision while working with them to engrave on harder woods. They can withstand high speeds and heavy intensity. However, their price point is a bit higher than others because of such features.
c) High-Speed Steel
If you're running low on budget, the most suitable option for you would be the high-speed steel. Keep in mind that you've to compromise with precision, sharpness and durability with these router bits. They are good for occasional letter cutting and other similar projects involving softer wood.
The configuration of router bits refers to the number of cutting edges, the angle of flutes and similar details of their structure.
It is better to invest in the bits having two cutting edges since they make more smooth cuts than single-edge bits. Instead of chopping wood fibers, use the flutes with an angle to the shaft for slicing them.
3. Shank Size
There are mainly two sizes of shank available for router bits. Their diameter can be either half an inch or quarter an inch. The first one is preferred for most projects because they bring in more mass for the bit and therefore ensures higher stability. It also lets you've a better grip and less deflection.
However, if your router device is smaller or you need the bits at an economical price, the ¼ inch shank seems to be the better decision.
4. Anti-kickback Design
Anti-kickback design is pretty much an indispensable feature if you wish to discover the best router bit for cutting letters. Such designs prevent you from overfeeding the workpiece and reduce the possibility of kickbacks. As a result, you can enjoy being creative without the risk of injuries.
5. Dust Protection
In order to make the most of your new router bit set, you'll need to store it properly and keep the pieces safe from dust. Their design can contribute to this measure if the bits have pilot bearings.
The presence of a dust shield between their body and the bearing can prove to be highly effective as well. It protects the little pieces from dirt and thus the clean bearing can turn more smoothly.
6. Frequency Of Use
For those of you who dive into making letters out of wood occasionally or who want router bits as part of their crafting accessories, you should settle for the brittle bits. These pieces are not meant to be for frequent use and are available at much cheaper price points.
If you do engage in woodworking projects regularly, then discover the router bits which offer high durability. The ones made with carbide will guarantee the finest performance because they are built to withstand heavy workloads, high speed and heat exposure.
The router bits come in all levels of affordability. Just one piece could cost as much as an entire set of 12 to 15 pieces! So set your expense limits beforehand to avoid spending too much on one or more router bits.
Usually, the more economical options include a set of these bits within 20 bucks. On the other hand, the high-end sets with premium features may cost over a few hundred!
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Are There Routers Supporting Both ¼ Inch And ½ Inch Shanks?
Answer: Yes, there are routers that support both ¼ inch and ½ inch shank sizes. If you're not sure about which one will benefit your projects more, you can definitely go for these devices. You can then also enjoy the freedom of choosing router bits of either size or both!
2. What Is An Upcut Router Bit?
Answer: Upcut router bits are used with the upcut spiral tools. These are quite popular among all the varieties of spiral fluted tools. They are basically meant to complete the grooving or slotting functions, upward chip evacuation and ensuring great finish on bottom sides in a woodworking project.
3. Can You Use A Router Bit In A Drill?
Answer: If you need to improvise, you can use the straight router bit in a drill to complete the respective project. Even though it is mainly meant to be used with routers, it can help with drilling through various materials as well. You can also use it to create rabbets and mortises, or cut flutes in molding too.
4. As A Beginner, Which Router Bits Should I Use For Cutting Letters?
Answer: If you're new to woodworking or are unfamiliar with routers, you can start with the most common router bits like profile. Learning to use it should not take much time or effort either. The profile bit is mainly used to dress up the edge of your workpiece - be it a cabinet, a drawer front or a table top.
5. What Is The Advantage Of A Spiral Bit Over A Standard Straight Bit?
Answer: Spiral bits are commonly preferred over standard straight bits because they can deliver more smooth surfaces. You can get rid of any grainy texture on the edge or figured wood by applying these bits on them. Their shearing action and constant contact with the stock makes this possible.
It shouldn’t be much difficult to discover the best router bit for cutting letters since there are so a lot of varieties available on the market. You can make the final choice based on the products’ conveniences, performances, durability and so a lot of more crucial factors which will indicate its usefulness in the long term.
Besides, affordability is always a major factor since not everyone has the luxury to spend as much as they want. So make the most feasible choice for these router bits to get the most out of them while cutting letters.
You Might be Interested in: